Submissions for 2021 are now closed, thank you for your interest.
CONTACT welcomes proposals from emerging, mid-career, or established Canadian and international artists and curators for the Featured Exhibitions component of the Festival. This juried initiative is open to solo or group exhibitions on any subject matter, and to all photo-based practices.
Featured Exhibitions are highlighted prominently in the Festival’s communications, including the CONTACT catalogue, website, and newsletter; they also benefit from promotion and coverage through CONTACT’s extensive public relations initiatives, drawing significant attention to the artists and venues involved.
To be eligible, shows must take place for a minimum of two weeks during the month of May. Preference is given to exhibitions held in professional gallery spaces, and to bodies of work not previously shown in Toronto. If your proposal is not selected, it will be included in the Festival as an Open Call Exhibition.
While CONTACT optimistically plans for the Festival in May 2021, preparations are in place to adjust appropriately to evolving COVID-19 health and safety regulations.
Please submit the following via WeTransfer or Dropbox to firstname.lastname@example.org to be considered as a Featured Exhibition:
1. 10 images representing the specific project you wish to present. Image files must be in .jpg format.
2. An image list indicating artist name, title, medium, dimensions in inches, and year for each image.
3. One-page exhibition summary outlining the concept and content. Please include exhibition title, dates, name of exhibiting artist(s), and gallery/venue name.
4. A curriculum vitae or biography of the artist(s).
5. Contact information including name, address, telephone, and email for the main exhibition contact person. Please note you must designate one person as the primary point of contact.
Submissions not selected for the Featured category will be included in the Festival as an Open Call Exhibition.
– We do not accept hard copy submissions
– Incomplete submissions will not be accepted or reviewed
– Priority is given to works that have not yet been exhibited in Toronto
– Priority is given to those presenting in professional-quality spaces
– Galleries may submit multiple proposals, but one Featured Exhibition per venue will be chosen
– The exhibition space must hold public viewing hours
– Decision letters with be sent out in mid-December 2020
Before submitting, all artists/exhibition organizers must find a venue in which to hold the exhibition. The artists/organizers are responsible for all aspects of the exhibition production and presentation.
Although CONTACT cannot make any guarantees, we are occasionally able to connect artists and venues wishing to participate, depending on availability and best fit. If you are an artist seeking exhibition space, or if you have a venue and would like to participate in the Festival, please email info [at] scotiabankcontactphoto [dot] com.